1) 10-20 minute warmup walk, elevating your heartrate to around 120 beats per minute (the heartrate guideline will vary depending on your fitness level and on the altitude you are walking at.)
2) 2 minutes hiking at a faster pace getting your heartrate to around 140-150 bpm by the end of the interval.
3) 30 seconds easy hiking (no stopping!).
4) 30 seconds very brisk hiking (faster than the 2 minute interval).
5) 2 minutes easy walking (do not stop moving, just walk as slow as you need).
6) Repeat 3-5 times.
7) 20 minutes or more cooldown walk
Over the course of about 6 weeks, you’ll start to feel the effects of these fartlek workouts. You’ll find that your recovery becomes more complete during that 2 min rest interval. In which case, you’ll want to either shorten the rest interval or lengthen the work interval.