by Carrie Lane, Director of Sport Performance
1. 20 minute warmup walk with weighted pack (pack should weigh anywhere from 40-110% of weight that you will carry on your trip)
2. 6-20 x 30-60 second uphill walks on steep terrain with weighted pack. Heartrate around 170-190 bpm (breathing slightly labored). 1 minute easy walking in between each interval. No stopping.
3. 1 x 1 mile walk on flat or rolling terrain with heartrate around 160 bpm
4. 6-20 x 30-60 second uphill walks. Same protocol as above.
5. 20 minute cooldown walk with or without the pack.
Efficiency and strength in the mountains is all about conserving energy. Methodical movements with efficient recovery from more powerful activities comprises the “art” of mountaineering training. A balanced, thoughtful approach to energy and neuromuscular system fitness will gain you the confidence for your high alpine goals.